At 8 Chains North, we welcome your well-behaved two- and four-legged kids. Please review our guidelines and expectations when you visit with your pet or family. We appreciate your understanding that while we want to remain dog- and family-friendly, we are first and foremost an alcohol establishment for adult enjoyment and, as such, it is important for us to make sure our adult guests have the best experience possible.
For some, visiting local wineries is a family affair. If you choose to bring your kid(s), please know that they must be within arm’s reach of an adult at all times, both in the Tasting Room and outside. They should be able to use “indoor voices” and exhibit “restaurant behavior.” Children may play our corn hole (accompanied by a parent) or bring quiet games, books, and activities to enjoy at your table. 8 Chains North also offers a selection of games suitable for most ages. You are welcome to borrow them. We are not a public park, therefore we do not allow ball games, Frisbee, and other activities that involve running on the grounds, fence-climbing, or that result in loud voices outside.
We love seeing all your happy dogs’ faces and wagging tails when you visit! 8 Chains North has been enthusiastically dog-friendly since we opened our doors in 2010. As an agricultural entity/farm winery, we are regulated by the Va. Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS). Recently, VDACS revised and began enforcing their Retail Food Establishment Regulations. One of these regulations, 2 VAC 5-585-3310, prohibits live animals inside a food establishment (wine is considered a food), but allows them in outdoor dining areas under certain conditions. The penalties for non-compliance can be severe.
Dogs are still very welcome at 8 Chains North to the fullest extent of the law. The main change is, unfortunately, that animals will not be allowed inside the winery (except service dogs as defined by the ADA).
- Patrons with dogs may enter the premises through the gate at the east end of the barn by the tent
- Dogs must be leashed on the patio and in the backyard area
- Dogs must be licensed, vaccinated, and wearing proper tags
- We have a dedicated dog park where your pets can enjoy being off leash to run around, meet new friends (or do their “business”)
- All dogs must be under the immediate control of their person
- All pet waste must be deposited in the waste station located in the dog park
- Excessive barking or any aggressive behavior toward people or other dogs will result in being asked to leave the premises
- Please don’t bring your pet if s/he is not well-suited for public spaces
- Dogs are not allowed on the furniture, and cannot be served food or water using utensils/vessels for people
During warm weather, dogs may not be left in your vehicle on our property. Outside temperatures as low as 70º F can exceed 100º F inside the car within 10 minutes. 8 Chains North will call Animal Control if we see a dog in a car who might be in danger of heatstroke.